Sunday, June 17, 2007

Totally frustrated!

You would think, that after 4 years of mountain biking, I would be able to handle an "intermediate" level course. But, to my frustration, I can not-- a point made painfully obvious at yesterday’s ride at Harbin Park. This trail has everything an intermediate rider could ask for -- a nice flowing, heavily wooded, single track trail with terrain changes, switchbacks, and small obstacles. But, after having to stop and get off my bike to walk about every 5 minutes, I came to the realization that I'm still a "beginner" mountain biker. Yep, you add little difficulty to a trail and I fall apart like a "delicate doily".

And really, it's not just mountain biking. I'm still pretty much a beginner road rider too. Our little adventure on the tandem at last Tuesday’s Group Ride drove that point home. This group said they average "about 18 mph" (what I would consider a good intermediate pace) but as Pops and I watched the group ride away from us, I realized that he could only "compensate" for my lack of ability by so much. Yep, we pretty much did that ride by ourselves.

This little epiphany reminds me of the time I decided to play softball about 10 years ago. I was a true beginner at the time and my team-mates tolerated my "learning curve". They assigned me the position of Catcher (to keep me in a "safe" place). I did "okay" but even after playing a couple of seasons, I was still playing at a "beginners level". I realized this fact during an "important" play-off game because the 3rd baseman felt absolutely compelled to play both her position and mine at the same time. Anytime there was a remote chance of something happening near home plate, she would run home so she could "back me up". Now, I have no trouble with that, but her idea of "backing me up" was standing in front of me, blocking me, to make the play. I quit softball after that game.

Now, I really don't want to quit riding because I enjoy it. And, because "being a quitter" really ticks me off. But, my lack of ability is starting to get to me. I know I don't have what you would call a natural athletic ability, but I thought I would be a better rider by now. Pops wants me to ride with him, but when I do, he just ends up sitting and waiting on me, which makes me feel worst because now he's not getting anything out of his ride. It's all very frustrating!

I don't know... maybe, I should just stop trying to be an athlete, and take up knitting.

5 comments:

Mark D. said...

quit walking intermediate type obstacles.you may take a few bumps and bruises but eventually you'll be able to ride that type of stuff.

if you never ride the stuff you'll never have the confidence in knowing you can

Anonymous said...

We took a vote. Keep riding the bike.
Luey, Cookie and ESB

Unknown said...

You've made huge gains, Angie. Some of us just don't make them as fast as other folks. Don't give up. You'll miss it!

GoFastPops said...

Remember Carter's Lake? That like these trails.

The only Middle Ga trail close to the "intermediate trails" around here would be Camp Thunder. "Huff 'n Puff" would be just another trail around here, Arrowhead would be a beginner loop.

Coming from basically flat trails to here can be a shock to the system, climbing hills can only make Angie stronger.

Unknown said...

Don't give it up, which I don't think you will since you're suffering on the road bike. This isn't a team sport, Team Dragon Butt notwithstanding. It's purely you and the trail and there's no shame at all in walking any piece of trail as long as you swear on your momma's grave (even if she's alive) that you will ride it one day.

For the record, if you're riding trails regularly that are akin to Huff-n-Puff, you're rding tough stuff. You will get better and it might only be incrementally and hard to notice, but you will. Remember, it wasn't that long ago that you weren't riding logs and now you're old hat at them. Keep the faith. I have faith that you will be riding stuff you couldn't believe you would. However, there is some truth in what Mark D has to say and that is try pushing yourself to ride the stuff that's freaking you out now. Even if you only get half way thru an obstacle before you dab or unclip, it'll make you better.

This sport is such a mind game. Remember, your bike wants to stay upright and it will if you just pedal.