Monday, September 24, 2007

12 hours of Dauset

I've always liked the trails at Dauset, but what a difference not riding there for over a year can make.

I had worried that the hilly terrain and the heat/humidity would be a challenge for me. The weather, for the most part cooperated, but the terrain-- spanked me like a 4 year old in K-mart!

The day started out a little wet, which made the trail pretty slick with several muddy spots. I haven't rode much in the way of hills and certainly no "rooty" sections since coming up here. So, I was sucking wind on climbs and getting a tad bit nervous riding over the wet roots. But, luckily, no crashes- just a couple of near misses. I skidded out a couple of times in the mud and I somehow rammed my handlebars into a tree once. But, I managed to "keep the rubber side down".

I did make a couple of stupid mistakes though... First, I failed to change my shorts in between laps which caused me considerable discomfort on my second lap. This "discomfort" caused me to constantly "adjust" my sitting position in hopes of finding a "comfortable" (ie. less painful) position on the bike. But, no position really worked, so by the time I finished the lap, my lower back was also hurting pretty bad. My second mistake was that I did not eat enough throughout the day. By the end of the evening, I was feeling pretty sick, so once we had the car packed, I just needed to head on home. This, unfortunately, cause us to miss the the awards. What really ticks me off, is that I know better than to make those stupid mistakes. I was just careless, and did not adhere to my common sense.

The BEST part of the race weekend was seeing our bike friends again and getting to catch up with each other. Hopefully, we'll get to trek back next year and make the "12 hours of Dauset" an annual event. Sounds good to me!

Oh, and the "Homecoming Queens" took 8th Place!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We took 8th? Wow, that's better than I expected. Pretty darn cool.

It was so WONDERFUL to see you and Don, Steve, and Sara again. Yes, make it an annual event.