Thursday, November 22, 2007

Training in the basement

Well, I did it, I signed up to be a member of the Team Dayton Race Team. This means now I've got to get my A$$ in gear and spend some "quality time" on the trainer in the basement.

So, to make riding the trainer a little more bearable, Pops and I put together a compilation CD of my favorite songs that would match the training program that I'm currently following. I've got "heart pumping" songs (for warm-up and hammering) and slow songs (for recovery and cool-down) all arranged by song style and length according to the training plan. (It's a very eclectic collection- to say the least)

After yesterdays "maiden voyage" using my new CD, I can actually say that I feel like I had a great workout - probably the best ever!

Usually, when I'm riding the trainer, the minutes just drag on... and on.... and on... and I can never remember what time I'm suppose to start and stop my training segments. (I guess I can't ride and do math in my head at the same time.) But now, instead of watching the clock and calculating when to push and when to recover, I know what to do by which song is playing. The time flew by and there was no question in my mind if I had spent the right amount of time pushing versus recovering!

I think I'll probably need to make a couple more of these CDs so I don't get to sick of this one, and maybe I'll get somewhere this winter.

1 comment:

Dave said...

That's a dang good idea! I'll have to try that when I get a trainer.
Congrats on the race team. It's always good to set the bar high for yourself.